Usability suggestions with split window editor

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Tue Jun 27 05:29:38 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 00:22, Breton M. Saunders wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>

>   I use KDevelop 3.3.91 on a two monitors (NVidia twin-view), and
> often split the editor view vertically in half.  One half holds a
> header file, the other the implementation file.  There are a couple of
> problems that I run into:
>
>        1) There is no easy way to move a file from one split to
> another.  The easiest way is to close the file, then click on the
> other editor and re-open the file.  The ability to drag a tab from one
> editor to another and/or have a right menu button option to move a
> file to another tab would be very helpful.

Which MDI mode are you using? Perhaps file a wish (although I don't know
whether there will be anyone that wants implement it)

>        2) When editing, my eyes focus from one split to another, and I
> begin typing, often on the incorrect split.  Eye tracking is out of
> the question; but if the mouse behavior was optionally configurable as
> focus-follows-mouse rather than click-to-focus.  This change would
> greatly reduce my editing errors - I don't have to think to move the
> mouse, but I do have to think to move and click!

control center -> desktop -> window behaviour -> focus follows mouse

>        3) It would be very helpful if the editor window could be torn
> off, or even better, if a single split could be torn off as a separate
> window.

Hopefully kdevelop4 will accommodate multiple monitors better.  I certainly
will try to make it so...

Cheers,
Hamish.