debugging applications with libtool

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Tue Jun 20 08:00:47 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 06 June 2006 16:31, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 June 2006 09:24, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > can you describe the reproduction steps in more detail, or even better,
> > send a small project where this problem appears. I've tried to follow the
> > steps above and got "No rule to build XXX.la.lo". Maybe this is related
> > to the fact that I never used automake.
>
> You can try this one:
> http://www.ki-inform.com/~adymo/code/tk334.tar.bz2
> Just build it and you shall see the debug/src/tk334 wrapper script.

Hi Alexander,
thank you for the testcase; the bug reproduces for me (after I tweak the
configure options not to use 64-bit libs ;-)

I'll take some time to think what's the best way to address this, and
hopefully will fix this till the end of the week.

<aside>
I'm still amazed at how broken libtool this. The problem is tries to solve --
making sure that shared libraries are found at runtime, can be solved on all
Unixes in existance by encoding library search path right into the binary
with the -rpath option -- Boost.Build has this for quite some time and it
works perfectly. I believe that CMake (or CMake setup for KDE) has this too.
Anyway, still needed to fix debugger.
</aside>

- Volodya

--