KDevelop4 project file

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Thu Jul 20 14:15:20 UTC 2006

On Thursday 20 July 2006 5:42 am, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Thursday 20 July 2006 12:10, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  As I read in the commits, the project files are now in INI format.
> > Is the structure of them described somewhere? I cannot find any
> > discussion relating to this change, so it kind'a caught me at
> > surprise and now I really wonder what is the good way to put my stuff
> > in the project file. Until now it was easy, I put everything under
> > the "project" node, and extending the "items" nodes with our own
> > attributes was easy. How should I go on now? Of course, I could use
> > my own XML file and insert a line in the kdev4 project file pointing
> > to this XML file, but that is far from being ideal.

Yes, I've discussed this change many times in many different forums.  I've
discussed it on IRC with mattr, hamish and adymo.  The folks who I knew to be
working on kdevelop4.  I've discussed this on k-c-d in the course of a patch
to kconfig to allow this.  I've discussed this on the commit messages I've
made.  Finally, I've written documentation in the actual source files.  But,
no, you are right, I didn't discuss it here...  Sorry.

The project files are now in INI style format, it is true.  This is because we
now use the KConfig framework for project settings too.  This has the benefit
that we can use KConfigXT and that all settings are saved in the exact same
way.  This is how it works:

When a project is opened any changes to the settings will be reflected in the
project file(s).  When a project is not currently opened any changes to the
settings will be reflected as normal... in $USER/.kde4/config/kdeveloprc

This means that we have one configuration dialog for both kdevelop and the
project.  When a project is opened it is in project mode.  When a project is
not opened it is in regular 'configure kdevelop' mode.  I will be making a
change to the top-level menu item to reflect this.  When a project is opened
it will read 'configure project' and when a project is not opened it will
read 'configure kdevelop'.

Now, what does a kdevelop plugin developer need to know in order to use all of
this?  Just a few things.

1.  All settings are saved to the global KConfig object.  Period.  The
framework handles the project opening behind the scenes.  Again, when a
project is opened the framework initializes the global KConfig object to
point to project file(s).  When a project is not currently open the framework
initializes the global KConfig object to point to regular config files.

2.  You SHOULD NOT access the global KConfig object through KGlobal::config()
anymore.  Instead, you should access it through three different methods:

	KDevConfig::standard() <-- This is the usual way you will access it.  Only in
	very rare cases will you need to access it from the other two methods.

	KDevConfig::localProject() <-- If you are making a setting without KConfigXT
	and wish to make sure the setting is NOT saved in the global shareable
	project file, then you can use this.

	KDevConfig::globalProject <-- You should rarely if ever use this.  It is
	operationally the same as standard.  It may be removed.

3.  You should be using KConfigXT for your settings dialogs wherever possible.
You can find examples of this in the documentview part, the cmake part and in
the shell.  We have two new classes that should be used for this:
KDevCModule and KDevConfigSkeleton.  They should be used in place of their
respective parents.  They enable the possibility of specifying settings that
should only be saved in the local project file such as hard coded paths.
Again, look at the cmake settings as an example, but the idea is that you
implement one virtual method in KDevCModule that points to a data file which
lists the settings that can not be shared.  The framework will then take care
to place those settings in the local project file, not the global project
file.

The advantages to this are numerous:

*  Plugin developers don't have to worry about whether settings belong in the
project or in the regular config.  Settings are settings.  When a project is
opened then settings are given a project scope.  When a project is not opened
then settings are given a regular scope.

*  Users don't have to wonder how to find a particular setting... "Is it in
the project config or is it in the regular config"... there is only one place
to get/set settings.  The config dialog.

*  We can finally pass around kdevelop project files and commit them to svn.
The global project file should be safe (ie, it won't contain hardcoded paths
or environment variables) to commit.

*  All settings can be configured on an individual project basis.  A project
manager could finally define AStyle settings for the whole project, for
instance.  And developers who work on more than one project might have AStyle
settings for each different project.

> As I look in the code it seems that now the project file cannot be
> accessed at all, only via KDevFileManager, to manipulate folders/files.
> No extra information can be stored in the project file?
> Maybe I miss something, but this is a step back compared to KDevelop3
> architecture.

No, you can no longer access the old projectdom.  That's because we are no
longer using it.  It all goes through KConfig now.

But, OF COURSE, you can access the project file.  It is just done in a
different way... through KConfig... actually through KDevConfig ;)