using preprocessed files ?

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Tue Jul 11 18:36:00 UTC 2006

Hi Alex,

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 03:40, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> would it help us (kdevelop) for things like code completion, code
> navigation, etc, if the parser etc. could work on the preprocessed files ?
> Suddenly it would be completely clear where from which header a class comes
> from, or which members a struct has, since this can all be found in the
> preprocessed file.
>
> If you think this would help us, I'll try to add something to cmake to make
> it trivial to generate them.

KDevelop's parser already has internal support for preprocessing.  Because we
want to offer incremental parsing (so that hopefully processing can be done
real-time, or as close to it as possible), we really need to have this
control ourselves.

One thing which will be crucial to code completion etc. is the information
that cmake uses to invoke gcc, eg. include directories, command line defines
(-Dblah=foo), etc.  I'm hoping that Matt's cmake integration will be able to
pick all of that out.  Once that's done, getting an api created and submitted
to cmake will be important for maintainability.

Cheers,
Hamish.