Project config and KMessageBox' dontAskAgainName

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Thu Jan 19 17:12:14 UTC 2006

On Thursday 19 January 2006 19:06, Jens Dagerbo wrote:
> On 1/19/06, Vladimir Prus <ghost at cs.msu.su> wrote:
> > I'll remove this "Don't ask again" checkbox unless somebody has
> > better ideas. (And wait for users to complain ;-) )
>
> Cool. My favorite option. :)
>
> I don't think there is better solution, really (leaving aside the
> focus-follows-mind type of solutions). Anything else either adds
> settings or buttons ( [Debug] [Debug-with-rebuild] - talk about
> horrible! ;) ) without improving anything.
>
> I think the second best option to asking is to simply do what we do
> now - exactly what the user asked for (just start the debugger).

Yea, but some users don't like this -- it's third in the list of
most-voted-for bugs in debugger part.

- Volodya

From: Matt Rogers <mattr at kde.org>
To: kdevelop-devel at kdevelop.org
Subject: Re: Project config and KMessageBox' dontAskAgainName
Sender: kdevelop-devel-admin at barney.cs.uni-potsdam.de
Date: Thu Jan 19 19:31:09 2006

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 05:52:06PM +0300, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> Hi,
> I've almost finished automatic rebuild of project on debugger start, but I
> have one issue. When debugger thinks that the project might be changed, he
> pops a KMessageBox asking if rebuild should be really done. The
> KMessageBox::questionYesNo is passed the dontAskAgainName parameter, so that
> message box includes "Don't ask again" checkbox. If that checkbox is checked,
> a string is added to kdeveloprc.
>
> The problem is that:
> 1. There's no config dialog where "Don't ask again" can be unchecked.
> 2. I'm not sure it belongs to kdeveloprc, storing this in project options
> seems
> more reasonable.
>
> But project options are XML, and KMessageBox/KConfig won't work with it. So,
> anybody knows a way to make "Don't ask again" checkbox work with KDevelop's
> XML project options file, other then reimplementing the message box from
> scratch?
>
> - Volodya

I think it makes sense to just assume that things should always be
rebuilt before debugging as long as a file in the project has changed.
Perhaps a little much for KDevelop 3.4, but certainly doable in trunk.

I have ideas on how something like this could be implemented, and will
post them on the wiki when i get them in a concrete enough format.
(IOW, written down :) )

--
Matt