Purpose of "buildtools" .so and .la files

Jeremy Laine jeremy.laine at m4x.org
Tue Jan 17 11:20:10 UTC 2006

Hello,

I am currently doing some maintenance on the Debian packages of
KDevelop and there are a number of shared objects and .la files whose
purpose is not obvious to me. I cannot find any binaries or libraries
that depend on the shared objects, which leaves me wondering whether
they need to be distributed at all (possibly in a development package?).

I'd really appreciate any pointers on this topic! The files are:

/usr/lib/libkdevautomakeimporter.so
/usr/lib/libkdevautomakeimporter.la
/usr/lib/libkdevcustomimporter.so
/usr/lib/libkdevcustomimporter.la