Attempted to improve python support

Satoshi Kinebuchi skine at dcrew.jp
Tue Jan 17 11:10:07 UTC 2006

Hi list,

This is my first post.

I would like to add more power of python support to KDevelop.
First of all I attempt to add code completion feature to it
(and later I'm planning to add debugging feature).

Please give me some comments or advise about these:

1) What branch should I work for from point of now?
   3.4, 3.5 or HEAD?

2) What a reason or discussion made them decide to create hand-written
parsers?

   For python, interpreter already has well defined interface to parse and
   translate python codes to AST. At first I planned to create a wrapper fit
   them to KDevelop's programming scheme.

   Language parsers bundled with KDevelop are all written by hand.

   There are already some nice parser/compiler for almost all of the language
   supported by KDevelop. I suppose it can be created by borrowing such
   parser's source code rather than from scratch, for example, gcc for
   C/C++ parser.

   Was there any reason or discussion to be decided to do so? I mean,
   I expect to decide which way (borrowed from python interpreter or
   written by hand) is better to create python parser, including code
   completion feature.

3) In case it would be better to create a parser by hand,
   what is the best way to create it?

   This is involved in Q1 and Q2.

   Now there is Roberto's brand new parser generator, kdevelop-pg.
   I'm heavily interested in it. But it seems like to
   intend to be bundled to KDevelop4 (it does?). Is there a plan of
   including his work to KDevelop's next 3.4 release? If so,
   I'd like to take advantage of his excellent work to create python parser.

Thank you.

--
Satoshi Kinebuchi <skine at dcrew.jp>