in module source reorganization

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 17 22:33:07 UTC 2006

On Friday 17 February 2006 19:05, Matt Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Adam (manyoso), Jens (teatime), and I (mattr) had a discussion in the
> #kdevelop IRC channel last night about some reorganizations we'd like to
> make to the kdevelop source tree in order to make things a bit more logical
> in terms of directory layout and here's at least the first round of changes
> we'd like to make:
>
> - rename parts to plugins
>
> - move the toplevel desktop files to their own directory called xdg
>
> - move any installed libraries (and their code) that are outside of the
> main lib directory to the main lib directory ( i.e. from
> kdevelop/languages/lib to kdevelop/lib/languages,
> kdevelop/src/profileengine/lib moves to
> kdevelop/lib/profileengine, etc.)
>
> - languages and buildtools would move to the new plugins directory, since
> that's really what they are.
>
> Questions and comments are welcome. We'll try to answer things to the best
> of our ability
I think this sounds useful, but I'm not sure if it should be the number one
priority for KDevelop 3.4. The only problem with 'moving things around' is it
will probably make it harder for anyone to be doing anything else at the same
time. On the other hand there isn't that much activity anyway.

I think the priority should make tidying up excess features, cleaning up the
ui and getting Alexander's simplified ideal mode working well enough that we
could junk kmdi. Split windows don't seem to work with it for me, but they
would be a major improvement it they worked. Then there's the double edit
configure menu problem - I don't how much work that is to fix. It removes
some of the daft kmdi menu options in the View menu. And we could get rid of
the equally daft menu option 'type filename to open file' for very little
work I assume.

I spent this afternoon removing a few toolbuttons, and finding about the
simplified ideal mode on irc. It seems to me that KDevelop is so frustrating
close to having a much better UI and usability for very little work, just by
rationalising the default setups a bit.

-- Richard