in module source reorganization

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Fri Feb 17 22:31:49 UTC 2006

On Friday 17 February 2006 3:32 pm, Jens Dagerbo wrote:
> On Friday 17 February 2006 19:05, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Adam (manyoso), Jens (teatime), and I (mattr) had a discussion in the
> > #kdevelop IRC channel last night about some reorganizations we'd like to
> > make to the kdevelop source tree in order to make things a bit more
> > logical in terms of directory layout and here's at least the first round
> > of changes we'd like to make:
> >
> > - rename parts to plugins
>
> Sounds good too me, as "plugins" is what we call them everywhere but in the
> source tree...
>
> > - move the toplevel desktop files to their own directory called xdg
>
> Great.
>
> > - move any installed libraries (and their code) that are outside of the
> > main lib directory to the main lib directory ( i.e. from
> > kdevelop/languages/lib to kdevelop/lib/languages,
> > kdevelop/src/profileengine/lib moves to
> > kdevelop/lib/profileengine, etc.)
>
> Alexander should answer this, but.. the platform profile stuff is seperate
> from kdevelop-the-application. There has also been talk about splitting out
> the platform stuff into its own svn module, to make it cleaner and clearer
> for others (quanta) to port to it. Perhaps this is a good reason not to
> bring the platform profile lib closer into kdevelop?

AFAIK, kdevelop-the-platform is everything under kdevelop/lib and
kdevelop-the-application is everything under kdevelop/src

One provides the interfaces and the other implements them.  The rest of the
app is found in the various plugins which are in parts/* languages/* and
buildtools/*

> > - languages and buildtools would move to the new plugins directory, since
> > that's really what they are.
>
> I disagree. Virtually everything in KDevelop is a plugin (last I checked we
> had about 100 .desktop files) but this is not a good reason to put them all
> into a flat "plugins" directory.

True.

> languages, buildtools and vcs plugins differ from the "simple plugins"
> (those that are currently in the subdir called "parts" in that they offer
> functionality to other parts of kdevelop through interfaces. Somehow I
> think this separation needs to be maintained in the source tree.

True.

> If you suggest to move the languages and buildtools directories into
> plugins as subdirectories, the separation is maintained, but then I'm
> afraid I don't see the point of the move.

I want to have less top-level source directories. Currently we have:

lib
src
parts
languages
buildtools

To me we have three clearly defined groups of source... the lib which
specifies the platform, the implementation which holds the impl of the
platform and the plugins.  To make this clear, I'd like to reduce the
top-level source directories to three:

lib
src
plugins
plugins/languages
plugins/buildtools

Eventually lib is going to be broken out into its own module like you said.
Same goes for src probably.  What we'll be left with then is a bunch of
plugins.

Is it feasible that these plugins could eventually live in something like
kdev-extragear and then an individual applicaition like kdevelop or quanta
could pull in the plugins that it needs?  Either via svn tags or something?

Adam