Java parser update: thesis roundup

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Wed Feb 1 17:20:11 UTC 2006

On Wednesday, 1. February 2006 16:30, Roberto Raggi wrote:
> Hi Jakob!
>
> I'm *impressed* :-) Your work on the Java front-end and kdev-pg is just
> amazing! As KDevelop developer I want to thank you.

Whoa, thanks! But really, I don't think my work is anywhere close in value to
what you or other developers have produced.

> Please, submit your patches to kdev-pg. Remember to add your name in
> AUTHORS and in the "copyright header" of the files you touched.

ok.

> I really would like to work with you on kdev-pg. Improving it and make it
> the standard tool for writing plugins for KDevelop.

I'll see what I can do. Is your preferred email address the kdevelop.org one
or should I use some other one for contacting you?

> Jakob, how much slower(faster?) is kdev-pg compared to other Java parsers?
> btw I saw you use flex to generate the scanner. I know the generated flex
> scanner is slower than most of the other scanner generators (antlr,
> re2c, ...).

I'll compare it to the ANTLR one, maybe the JavaCC one, and post the results.
(It depends... how much overhead do bash commands and echos cause?
Last time I wanted to process large directories with bash it failed miserably
when compared to a python script doing the same thing.)

> thanks again, and
> ciao robe

Thanks to you, without kdevelop-pg that thesis would not have been possible in
this form. But enough of mutual acknowledgements, I'll get back to work
(or whatever).

bye,
  Jakob