Hardcoded Colors in KDevelop

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 21 20:03:17 UTC 2006

Nick Savoiu wrote:
>> Nick: I know messages is "hard-coded" but I looked at it and it was
>> trying to do the right thing by having a 'light' and 'dark' set to
>> choose from. If this isn't working for you, I would be happy to take a
>> look at making things better. Maybe you could post (or send me
>> privately) a small screenshot showing what the problem is?
>
> Matthew,
>
> I was just pointing out the parts that looked "hardcoded" to me.
> Actually the changes you've made make it much easier to read on my wacky
> scheme than before. Short of giving user control over those colors I
> don't know of a way of pleasing everyone.

Well, glad to help out! It might interest you to know (if I hadn't
mentioned it) that I also use dark colors, so chances are we're in a
similar situation, i.e. I was also motivated by self interest. In fact,
the reason I made the change is because I got sick of trying to read
grepview output against my dark background. :-) So, yes, in my case also
the new scheme is much more legible.

Honestly, I think the HIG's ideas of having a number of in-scheme colors
is the best solution, and short of that, in some ways using scheme
colors, even in a limited fashion, is better than making them
configurable. The latter tends to make them illegible until the user
figures out how to change them. :-)

Anyway, thanks for the feedback! It's always nice to hear when
personally-motivated changes really do help other people as well!

--
Matthew
We interrupt this e-mail to bring you a lame signature attempting to be