Problems running/debugging applications

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 7 20:54:03 UTC 2006

Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Thursday 07 December 2006 21:59, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> The second part is harder. First, it would be helpful if, instead of
>> just running the app with 'var=val var=val app args', it was possible
>> to source a user-specified shell script first. That is, the command
>> line would need to look like 'var=val; var=val; export var var; .
>> script; app args'. Secondly, /none/ of this is used by gdb, meaning
>> that while I can do some ugly var setting (PATH='bin/`uname`_`uname
>> -m`:$PATH', for example) and get the app to run, I am unable to debug
>> it because gdb doesn't inherit these settings. Why not?
>
> Create a script that you run instead of your application. The script's
> last line will run the application. ;-)

That won't work, because gdb will try to run it. :-)

> This is for running. For debugging, there is something like "debugging
> shell". Can't you use that one?

I tried, but I can't get it to work... Oh, i see why, because I am used
to gdb output and program output in the same place. My, that's confusing.

What seems to be outright broken, though, is that there is no
notification that the process being debugged has terminated (not in the
'application' pane, either), and then if you try to 'run', you get
errors (um, no, 'run' should work?). Try setting the program to run to,
e.g. /bin/ls (really e.g. ../..[/.. as needed]/bin/ls) and try it out.
Seems like gdb's output 'Program exited normally.' is ignored/lost.

--
Matthew