Problems running/debugging applications

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 7 19:59:34 UTC 2006

Not exactly the right list (that would be -users), but since AFAICS this
needs a code changes (that I am willing to offer patches for)...

I am having a hard time debugging a particular project. This particular
project generates mainly libraries but also a few executables, meaning
that there is no one binary I want to run when I hit 'run' (and that
said binary may not even be part of the project, e.g. if I need to test
the library portions). Also, it needs some moderately complicated
environment setup to run.

Although the project in question isn't kdelibs, it easily could be. :-)

The first point is addressable; one must change which app to run in the
project options. (The only problem I saw here is that changing the 'run
in' seems to reset the 'what to run', which is potentially irritating.)

The second part is harder. First, it would be helpful if, instead of
just running the app with 'var=val var=val app args', it was possible to
source a user-specified shell script first. That is, the command line
would need to look like 'var=val; var=val; export var var; . script; app
args'. Secondly, /none/ of this is used by gdb, meaning that while I can
do some ugly var setting (PATH='bin/`uname`_`uname -m`:$PATH', for
example) and get the app to run, I am unable to debug it because gdb
doesn't inherit these settings. Why not?

--
Matthew