Startup hang

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Mon Dec 4 21:46:35 UTC 2006

On Thursday 30 November 2006 04:09, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Thursday 30 November 2006 11:49, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > On Thursday 30 November 2006 10:42, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > > Perhaps this means that fam daemon has died, but kdevelop does not
> > > notice that?
> >
> > I don't know. Next idea: valgrind.
>
> It turned out to be KDE-wide problem -- my kontact crashed and on restart,
> hanged in the same place. Ended up rebooting. But at least this is not
> KDevelop-specific problem.

This is something really weird if only a reboot will cure it. I'm running a
fairly "wild" FC6 system that has been upgraded incrementally, in place since
about Redhat 8 times (with hard drives being moved to new machine and copied
over, but never starting from scratch). On such a wild system, I can keep it
running for months at a time, and that on a weird kernel too (2.6.12 with
win4lin patches). Oh, and I routinely kill gam_server (which is the fam).

Are you sure that killing the X server/stale fam processes etc. won't cure it?
I also can't see how killing fam/gam server would be "bad" -- things are
supposed to work with the fam server coming in and out of commision (they do
for me).

Weird.

Does dmesg show any kernel problems?

Cheers, Kuba