KDevFileManager performance

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Aug 18 16:10:47 UTC 2006

On Friday 18 August 2006 02:20, Matt Rogers wrote:
> Have you done any profiling?

Not when I wrote the mail....

> Or are you just guessing?

Yes, but based on reading the code and thinking a little.

> Please come
> back with hard numbers on the performance difference between the
> current code and your proposal and we can take a look at doing
> something different.

I wrote some code to compare the two behavior. With a test data of 64
folders and 289 files loaded into the model, I searched for all files
trying to find if they are in the model or not (this is the same what
we want, find the KDevProject*Item for a url) using a tree traversal
and using a QHash. Using the tree traversal takes between 1-17 ms,
while using QHash is 0-1 ms, usually 0 here (AMD64 3200+ CPU).
This certainly tells me that the current storage doesn't scale for many
files and directories.

I committed the code to KDevProject::inProject so you can check my
benchmark.

> There's just too much other stuff to do ATM.

Jens explained why we are talking about this classes. We wanted tohave a
working project implementation for Quanta so we can start to work on
other issues.

Andras