KDevFileManager performance

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Thu Aug 17 19:57:19 UTC 2006

Hi,

 I'm worried about the performance problems in the KDevFileManager
class, due to the KDevProjectItem* way of storing the data. If these
classes help later with the model/view stuff, I have no problem with
them, but due to their tree-like structure it is hard and time
consuming to work with them. For example if you want to get all the
files that were added to the project, you would need to go through this
structure using a recursive method. To find if a url was already added
or not, you would have to do the same. To get information about the
item, again, a search through all of the items.
 For this reason I have a suggestion, which is to move allFiles from
KDevProject to KDevFileManager. The reasoning is that this way I could
implement a file manager which stores the URL->KDevProjectItem* mapping
in a QHash or QMap and it will be much faster to retrieve all the
above. allFiles could have access directly to this map, inProject could
get the QList of allFiles and find there the URL and so on. It would be
even more better if allFiles would return a QHash<KUrl,
KDevProjectFileItem*>.

Comments?

Andras