Issue with KDevelop: Is it using different parsers in parallell for different puropuses?

mwoehlke mwoehlke at tibco.com
Thu Aug 17 00:42:53 UTC 2006

Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 August 2006 05:57, Hamish Rodda wrote:
>> As has been discussed, it is not within the scope of katepart to provide
>> advanced highlighting such as this.  You simply need to know all of that
>> stuff about your build system etc. in order to perform the parsing.  Kate
>> app could decide to use our parser, and if they decided to do that we could
>> make it a shared library.  However I'd consider this unlikely, whenever it
>> is raised on kwrite-devel to introduce a parser, the response is usually
>> (and I believe correctly) 'use kdevelop'.
> Yes ;=) I think the current way is the right one to go. You have enriched
> KatePart/KTextEditor with methods to allow external apps like KDevelop to
> customize the highlighting of the document.

Right. Emphasis on "customize", as in, "not 'replace'". :-)

> The KatePart internal "parser" should really stay the stackmachine it is atm,
> it may get some more tuning for KDE 4,

Since we're on the subject, is "ability to pop at the same time as push"
part of that "tuning"? (I know, wrong list, but I think I already asked
there with no reply.)

> For indentation: yes, first of all, we suck ;) I know this, Kate team works on
> this ;)
> [snip]

...and indentation is something else I'd not like to see in KDevelop but
not KATE, but it sounds like that won't be a problem. :-)

--
Matthew
vIMprove your life! Now on version 7!