question about the new configuration framework

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Wed Aug 16 17:16:49 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 11:22:34PM +0700, Jens Herden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if I understood right the new configuration stuff in KDevelop is based on
> kconfigXT now. So whenever I have a plugin that needs configuration I should
> create a *.kcfg and *.kcfgc file, right?

No, the configuration stuff is based on the KSettings framework which is
currently residing in the kutils folder of kdelibs.

> So from what I know inside the *.kcfg file the name of the rc-file is written
> and the generated class gets this in the constructor. Does this mean that a
> plugin always saves its configuration in kdeveloprc if there is no project
> open?
>
> From reading the code I understand that the configuration dialog looks for
> *.desktop files where the entry X-KDE-ParentApp is set to the instance name
> of the application. How can this work if the application is not kdevelop but
> something else?

This is still something that has yet to be worked out. It might involve
extending the KSettings framework a bit to allow the functionality we're
looking for.

> Is it right that the configuration dialog now shows all options for all
> plugins no matter if they are currently loaded or not?
>
> Jens

Yes it is, but only because we don't tell KSettings to make any
distinction between which plugins are loaded and which are not.
--
Matt