KDevFileManager questions

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Wed Aug 16 15:00:46 UTC 2006

Hi,

 I have some questions about how a KDevFileManager should be
implemented. The problematic areas are import and parse.
It is unclear what they are supposed to do. By looking at the code where
they are implemented (KDevGenericImporter) and used
(KDevProjectManagerPart and ImportProjectJob) I assume that import
simply puts the base of the project in a KDevProjectFolderItem, while
parse parses the project files and adds to this base. But the
implementation confused me a little as import takes a KDevProjectModel
and a  KUrl as argument, but the model object is not used. Furthermore
the value returned by the import is added to the model in the project
manager code. If the model argument is present, shouldn't this addition
happen inside the import method itself?
 If the above assumption is true, maybe import should be renamed to
something else, like "createBaseItem".
 The second issue is with the return value of the parse method. Is this
a list of folders that were found during parsing? Is it mandatory to
return a list if we parser all folders and files in one go with the
parse method (and not with a KJob as it is done in ImportProjectJob)?

If I find what's correct, I will take care of updating the API
documentation. ;-)

Andras