Issue with KDevelop: Is it using different parsers in parallell for different puropuses?

mwoehlke mwoehlke at tibco.com
Mon Aug 14 17:34:52 UTC 2006

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 14.08.06 17:00:15, Erik Sigra wrote:
>> I would rather not use a parser written by someone who does not even
>> know what a language grammar is. I am afraid it would just be too shoddy.
>
> You're missing something here. KDE depends on people contributing to the
> project, so the bar needs to be as low as possible. I can read a lexer
> with flex, I cannot write one. I don't know the XML format kate uses,
> but I guess it's easier to grasp than flex+bison. Especially if you
> didn't have lessons in compiler theory.

Right. As one who has hacked on several .xml's and written others
outright (and has a pretty good idea what Erik is talking about with
"language grammar" - BNF, as an example?), I can tell you Joe Random
Hacker is more likely to be able to write a rudimentary .xml than have
any idea how to write something that depends on a language grammar.

--
Matthew
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad... You must be, or you wouldn't