KDE/kdevelop

mwoehlke mwoehlke at tibco.com
Fri Aug 4 22:20:02 UTC 2006

Adam Treat wrote:
> On Friday 04 August 2006 5:05 pm, mwoehlke wrote:
>> Adam Treat wrote:

>>> Yah, I mean a KPart has been created for every open document.  Files that
>>> are just parsed from disk are not 'open'.  Typically I'd imagine most
>>> people don't have more than a few dozen files open at startup.
>>>
>>> I'm talking about opening 1268 files at startup.  That takes less than 2
>>> minutes.  I think that is pretty good.
>>>
>>> For a few dozen it should take a only a few seconds.
>>>
>>> To be sure, we still have to work on it.
>> Right. There's still that *other* loading step that takes forever..
>> unless KDE4 doesn't do that? (Or is this the thing that's been
>> backgrounded?)
>
> What are you referring to here?

Um... I have no idea. It's a progress bar with no text that appears in
the status area. It used to take several minutes between when this
appeared (last thing to happen on startup) and when it got to 100% and
went away. I assume it has something to do with loading/initializing or
something. Time taken is definitely related to project size.

>> Huh, I just re-tested... it took maybe 25 seconds for the GUI to come
>> up, and 35 seconds (I timed click to settled; I'm guessing at the 25 but
>> not the 35) for everything to fully start, which is a LOT faster than I
>> was seeing before. In fact, that 10-15 seconds is exactly what I was
>> looking for; if the pre-GUI-started slowness gets better, then we're
>> REALLY making progress.
>>
>> You know more what happens on load than I; maybe something that my
>> previous version never persisted is suddenly working better in 3.3.91?
>> That would make sense with even 3.3.91 being slow the first time, but
>> faster now. (MIME type caching, that you mentioned, maybe? Is that in
>> 3.3.91?)
>
> No, I think we're talking past each other.  Everything I'm doing is for
> KDevelop 4.  If svn 3.x is going faster than you can thank Mattr or someone
> else.  Not me.

Huh. Well, anyway, it's much better, so thanks, mystery person that
fixed it :-).

--
Matthew
Only Joe suffers from schizophrenia. The rest of us enjoy it.