KDev codemodel/refactoring API

Roberto Raggi roberto at kdevelop.org
Fri Aug 4 14:33:55 UTC 2006

Hi!

On Friday 04 August 2006 15:58, Adam Treat wrote:
> Roberto, how much of an error would it be to just store the actual AST with
> line information and type information rather than the codemodel?  I know it
> would probably be a hit to memory and it is not as nice to interact with,
> but it has two MARKED advantages that I can see:
>
> 1.  Our parsers already generate it and we don't need to worry about
> integrating different languages AST.  They are generated from the parsers
> with perhaps a slight modification to make the AST objects inherit
> KDevCodeModelItem.  Problem solved.

I tried, but it's too big :( We have to find a way to simplify it, or we have
to find a better way to represent it (we can't keep it in memory).. I think
eclipse uses a persistent AST (but I'm not 100% sure)
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.jdt.core/dom/org/eclipse/jdt/core/dom/

> 2.  All information that is generated by the parser is kept around.  We
> don't have any binding process except adding on type information.  We don't
> have to worry about what the codemodel should look like.
would be really nice.. we just have to find a nice and efficient way to store
these informations.

> The biggest problem is the hit to memory, but we already keep around the
> AST for the current file for a limited time.  I wonder how much of a memory
> difference it would make.
*a lot* the AST is about 10x bigger than the original source code.

> > For instance, we use something very similar to kdev-pg-replacement in
> > Trolltech's qt3to4 (the Qt4 porting tool). Search for "TextReplacement"
> > in http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/qt-copy/tools/porting/src/
>
> I wonder if your C++ parser in kdevelop has forked very badly from the one
> you use for qt3to4, qt-jambi generator and the LSB standard generator... ?
qt3to4 is not mine :-) but it's true qt3to4 is using an old version of the
kdevelop C++ parser. I did that version in a KDE meeting and then we decided
to use it in qt3to4.. the one in KDevelop is a lot faster and nicer :-) so I
always try to have the *best* version in KDevelop :-) in Jambi we're using
the 1st version of the current KDevelop4 parser (the one we had in
branches/work/kdevelop4-parser) and my STL-ish C++ preprocessor.. I'm not
using the current version in kdevelop because i want to be sure I own the
code (you know the copyright is pretty important :-).. I hope to change this
in future, but that means I have to change the license of the C++ engine to
MIT, but I don't know how to do it. Because I can change the license _only_
for the code I own (== the initial version of the new kdevelop parser).. But
I'm positive we have changes in the current repository that are not mine :-)
so maybe i will release a _new_ special edition of my C++ parser under MIT,
but this version will have _only_ my changes. but i don't know, it doesn't
sound like a good idea. hints?

> Either way, we need to figure out what we are going to do about the
> codemodel's for Java and C# as well as what we're going to do with the
> codemodel/binder in C++.
I know.. I like Jakob's idea to generate the code model.. and you know he is
really cool :-) so I'm sure we will have something pretty soon!!

ciao robe

Roberto Raggi - roberto at kdevelop.org
KDevelop http://www.kdevelop.org