Shortcut problem: Ctrl-Enter

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Thu Apr 20 11:09:26 UTC 2006

On Thursday 20 April 2006 12:54, Jens Dagerbo wrote:
> On 4/20/06, Hamish Rodda <rodda at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 April 2006 16:56, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > > 2. Failing (1), does it make sense to have "Ctrl-Enter" shortcut work
> > > globally. If I type "Ctrl-Enter" in variablewidget, then certainly
> > > showing popup menu in *editor* is unexpected. Any approach to limiting
> > > the shortcut only to editor windows?
> >
> > I think that should be the case, how to technically achieve it with
> > KAccel I don't know about.  In KDE4 it's already solved with
> > QAction::setShortcutContext().
>
> I agree. It should only happen with the editor focussed, but I didn't
> know how to do that..

Is it possible to reimplement keyPressEvent in editor's parent, whatever that
is? Or to install event filter on editor widget?

> > > 3. Do we need this shortcut for popup menu at all?
> >
> > I'd say no, but then I didn't know about it...
> > From my POV, just remove it.
>
> If you want invoke any of the editor context actions without using the
> mouse, you need some way to open the popup menu. We should in general
> try to improve the use of mouseless navigation, imho.

We should also consider how to advertise this functionality to user. I had no
idea about this key binding until today. Maybe invoking absolutely *any*
KAction should show shortcut in the status bar?

- Volodya