question about complining

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Wed Apr 12 09:19:06 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 08:07, Tim Harper wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I have a question about something that I've been running into for a
> while when complining source code, that has baffled me.  Quite often,
> I'll try and compile something and I get errors about "extra
> qualification" in header files, like the errors from todays checkout
> in SVN (see the bottom of this message)
>
> I've gotten them a lot of times, with many different projects.  More
> seemingly lately.  Is this because I have an uncompatible version of
> a compiler?  It's happened in Fedora Core 4 and Suse 10.1.
>
> I was able to get today's kdevelop 3.4 branch to compile, but after
> removing all of the extra "qualifiers" in the class definition in
> each offending header file.
>
> Does anyone know why this is happening?  What do I need to change?
> The code compiles just fine without these extra qualifiers, why are
> they in there?

Most probably because of some tool automatically inserted there when the
classes were created or the developer is not aware that starting from
g++ 4.1 (it is in SUSE 10.1 and I believe also in FC5) they are an
error. Earlier g++ versions accepted it. So the solution is to remove
those extra qualifiers and send the patch to the kdevelop list (or
here) and someone will apply it. ;-)

Andras