Defining the KDevelop Platform

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Apr 6 22:33:03 UTC 2006

On Thursday 06 April 2006 16:09, Matt Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> IMHO, We need to answer the following questions about the KDevelop platform
> in concrete terms. Right now, we don't really have a clear cut idea of what
> the platform actually is. In order to move forward with the idea of the
> platform, i think we need to give it a bit of formal definition.
>
> 1. What will the platform encompass? (don't just say the current
> kdevelop lib dir)
>
> 2. What should the platform be used for?
>
> 3. What can developers who want to use the platform do with it?
>
> 4. Why should developers use the platform?
>
> 5. What advantages would the platform give them?
>

> The discussion here will feed into a wiki page on the subject which will
> of course be provided once it's created. I think once we can answer these
> questions, we can start moving the platform out of KDevelop itself and into
> its own module.

IMO there are currently only two big IDE projects: Eclipse and KDevelop.
Eclipse is currently used among others very much for embedded stuff, e.g. QNX
and I think VxWorks too both work on Eclipse.

KDevelop has the big advantage over Eclipse that it runs *much* faster.
Eclipse has (right now) the big advantage that it is cross-platform, i.e. it
runs on windows too. Hopefully this will be also the case for KDevelop with
KDE4.

So, KDevelop needs:
-good code navigation ( I still think gcc-xml might be useful)
This needs quite some work but is very important.
-good support for remote debugging (just work to do, no hard problems to
solve)

and
-easy way to add extensions.
This is already possible with the plugin system.
Possible plugins:
-support for custom debuggers, like lauterbach and others
-support for custom tools:
-configuring the RTOS
-kernel tracing
-code checkers, MISRA, ...