change of maintainership in KDevelop

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Tue Apr 4 01:28:08 UTC 2006

On Monday 03 April 2006 05:35, Richard Dale wrote:
> On Sunday 02 April 2006 17:16, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> > On Sunday 02 April 2006 17:34, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > > Also, it was suggested that rather than maintainership being the burden
> > > of just one person, it should be shared between a group of people with
> > > one person being the "lead" maintainer.
> >
> > That's ok.
> >
> > > I also volunteered for the position of
> > > lead maintainer as well.
> >
> > You have my vote :)
> >
> > > The group maintainership thing is in no way meant
> > > to be exclusionary. It's purpose is actually to provide other
> > > developers with a place to go so that they can get an answer from
> > > people who know more about KDevelop than the average developer. Please
> > > let me know if you'd like to volunteer.
> >
> > Ok. I'd like to join you as one of the maintainers group. Does anyone
> > have objections?
> >
> > > I hope to have everyone's support and I'd be happy to answer any
> > > questions or concerns.
> >
> > I had my questions already answered at irc and I completely agree with
> > two answers I got
> > Short summary:
> > - http://www.kdevelop.org/mediawiki/index.php/Maintainers is too specific
> > and should be revised
> > - maintainters group should be no larger than 5 people
> >
> > PS: let's not assign maintainers for specific parts of kdevelop. I'd opt
> > for some "maintainership freedom" ;)
>
> While I think it's good that Matt has volunteered to replace Roberto, it
> looks like we'll have even less people working on KDevelop 4.0 than we did
> on KDevelop 3.0. From what I can remember about KDevelop 1.x development in
> 1999 or so when I started doing patches for Objective-C support/submitting
> c++ parser fixes, there seemed to be more active developers then, than we
> have now. Meanwhile, the KDE project must have grown at least 2-3 times in
> terms of developer community size. Maybe as long as we have just enough
> people and they're good enough, then the absolute size of the developer
> community doesn't matter.

Roberto will still be making contributions, but his time is severly limited
due to his obligations at TT.

> But I really think we should have some kind of recruitment drive once
> KDevelop 4.x is mature enough to be able to add extra people. Can we get
> some ideas from projects like Amarok or whatever who are good at attracting
> developers? Lots of tasks, like creating new project templates are
> excellent first projects, and you don't need to be the new David Faure to
> do them.
>
> If KDE doesn't have a killer application development environment for C++,
> and for RAD development in languages like Python, Ruby, Java and C# that
> can be used for custom application development, then it's going nowhere as
> far as I can see.

I would very much like to do to a recruitment drive, but I'd like to have
things a bit more organized and also perhaps be able to provide better
information on how to write new plugins or new language support parts, etc.
--
Matt