Direction of KDevelop4

Alexander Dymo adymo at mksat.net
Thu Sep 22 00:08:03 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 21 September 2005 22:56, Adam Treat wrote:
> I have three reasons in order of importance I place on them:
> 1.  Rebranding.  Eventually, I want whatever 'kdevelop4' becomes to be
> released under a completely different name.  No longer 'kdevelop'.  I'd
> like to see a completely different name.  A code name now helps us to begin
> peeling away from that brand.
I fail to see the necessity of rebranding. I don't think we should change
an name of a project which has 7-year history and is widely recognized
as "KDevelop" now.

> 2.  For fun.  It just tickles my fancy. :)
KDevelop 4: <insert your favourite brand here>.
Only that form is possible IMHO for fun.

> 3.  In the past, we shipped different binary names so that we could install
> the old version and the new version alongside eachother.  Now, this
> wouldn't preclude naming the new binary kdevelop4... but it was decided to
> go with a code name probably for reason #2.  This doesn't really apply
> since we're not going to have to deal with this for awhile.
Since KDE3 and KDE4 apps will not be installed in the same location,
I fail to see a problem in naming the binary "kdevelop".

--
Alexander Dymo
ICST Department, National University of Shipbuilding, Mykolayiv, Ukraine