Direction of KDevelop4

Roberto Raggi roberto.raggi at trolltech.com
Wed Sep 14 17:33:29 UTC 2005

Hi Vladimir,

On Monday 12 September 2005 15:08, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> FWIW, when getting hold of debugger code, I really wished it has much more
> comments! There were a lot of code which function was obvious, but it's was
> not clear why the code is needed, and how it fits in the overall picture.
> Generally, I never seen a piece of software with too much comments, so we
> should strive for more comments, not less.
this is for sure a problem of the current code base. I have to say I'm one of
the guy that created this problem :-) We know the problem. Thanks to
Alexander and Teatime we have guidelines and a new submit policy for KDevelop
4. Please, check KDevelop wiki.

> > 3.  A source code policy.  Currently, KDevelop's source code is
> > atrocious. Even in the new trunk branch, we have a dozen different coding
> > styles with some individual files having more than one coding style.
> > This makes things very hard to read...  I think your coding style is
I agree.

> > brilliant and beautiful. It is very easy to read and clear.  I think we
> > should adopt one coding style throughout KDevelop svn and stick to it.
> > Pick one and stick to it. Add Kate modelines for everything and give us
> > an astyle setting to use. BTW, the astyle settings should be made a per
> > project plugin, because different projects people work on have different
> > astyles...
it make sense.

> > 6.  I think we should get involved with a usabilty study and/or some
> > artists participation over at kde-artists.org.  Our UI as is very
> > convoluted.  I
> > to see something simpler and more elegant for kdevelop4.  I don't know
> > what that is, but I think we should start thinking about it.
i'm all for it

ciao robe