GDB/MI (Was: Embedded development)

Roberto Raggi roberto at kdevelop.org
Tue Sep 13 11:07:02 UTC 2005

Hi Vladimir,

On Tuesday 13 September 2005 10:50, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Yes, me too. But in fact, the only code duplication we have is with Ruby,
> and it will be hard to merge both debuggers. And I'm still sceptical of the
> idea that we can implement, say, Python debugger, using the same interface.
well we have the java debugger to do. And I think we can generalize things
like the stack frame, the watch view and breakpoint view. Of course we can't
provide a super generlized debugger GUI, but I hope we can abstract most of
it.

> It should be also noted that current debugger code has some attempt at
> separating debugger backend -- there's abstract class DBGController that's
> supposed to encapsulate all debugger operations. But at the moment,
> GDBController is the only implementation. Do you have some specific
> "different debuggers" in mind?
the Java debugger and the intel debugger (actually we could use it with the
GDB emulation)

> I did comment on that in my reply to Alexander Dymo recently. The current
> state of MI is not very promising. On the other hand, it offers some
I know.

> I think I'll try to use MI for one or two commands (say, getting variable
> value and memory content) and see how it goes.
Sounds good to me. I'm not an expert, but I was playing with the GDB/MI
support of eclipse/CDT.. and I have to say it is pretty impressive.

> > A couple of years ago I wrote a simple GDB/MI analyzer and Alexander
> > implemented a simple debugger with it. Unfortunatly he deleted the
> > Debugger :-) maybe we can use this experience to re*design/develop* it
> > Alexander?, Vladimir? John? :-)
>
> There's MI parser by Bob Rossi (the person doing lots of work on MI in
> gdb), see http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2005-09/msg00057.html
> OTOH, it's C interface. Where can I get your parser?

you can find the prototype I wrote here
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kdevelop-devel&m=108089476320257&w=2

I don't mind if you want to use something else or rewrite it from scratch.
qdbg was just a one hour project :-)

ciao robe