Direction of KDevelop4

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Mon Sep 12 19:37:02 UTC 2005

On Monday September 12 2005 1:22 pm, Jens Herden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > 1.  A clear goal or mission statement ie, "To offer the best KDE/Qt
> > development environment bar none."  I  think focusing on such a mission
> > statement will provide a better direction for thinking about what we want
> > to see in the new kdevelop.
>
> I can imagine that a mission statement will have some kind of value for
> marketing. But it would not affect me much and I doubt that many other
> developers would be affected by such a statement.
> But thinking about the direction is indeed a very good idea.

I just think a mission statement would help deliver focus.  Right now, we have
very little.  KDevelop consists of whatever plugins people decide to write.
I want something a little more clear so that people are all working toward
the same thing.  I chose the above and not 'the best C++ environment' or the
'the best IDE' because, 1) The majority of KDevelop users are KDE developers.
And it also stands to reason that if we make the best KDE development
platform then it'll be the best C++ environment as a subset.

> If a coding style is beautiful or not is definitely a matter of taste.
> Since people have different taste they have different coding style. That is
> life. But I agree that there should be guidelines, but I do not see that
> the whole code must follow the same guidelines. Mixed style in one file
> should be avoided and cleaned if found.
> But personally I have no problems reading code from people with different
> styles. I see coding as a kind of art where people express themself in
> different styles, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.

Different styles for different plugins/modules... fine!  But if that can't be
determined then a style should be picked for the plugin and we stick to it.

> "useless" for whom? I know many comments that could be removed without any
> doubt. But I also saw many comments that were helpfull for me to understand
> the code quicker and this was not only in really difficult situations. What
> might be useless for you can of course be usefull for others. Have mercy
> with people not as skilled as you.
> Why should a non public libray/interface not get commented? Because it is
> internal and what is internal is only for people who do not need comments?

As I've said, I only want useless comments thrown out.  I specifically
exempted from my wish list those that document subtle problems.

> Why only KDE developers? I guess there are also people out there who do not
> develop for KDE with KDevelop. So the basic question is what is widely used
> from KDevelop. I have no idea how this question could be answered. But
> thinking only about KDE seems a bit shortsighted to me.

See above.

> Are you going to put the code for the project views in this plugin as well?

No.  This is only for open documents.  The project manager handles the build
while the document view will manage your open documents.

Adam

--
I'm running a Marathon in December!
HELP ME SAVE LIVES and Donate Today!