Framework problems (Was: Direction of KDevelop4)

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Mon Sep 12 16:04:04 UTC 2005

On Monday 12 September 2005 17:27, Andras Mantia wrote:

> > 6.  I think we should get involved with a usabilty study and/or some
> > artists participation over at kde-artists.org.  Our UI as is very
> > convoluted.  I want to see something simpler and more elegant for
> > kdevelop4.  I don't know what that is, but I think we should start
> > thinking about it.
>
> One of the reasons of the mess in the UI is the KPart and XMLGUI
> framework and the fact that there are independent plugins. This can
> cause:
> - long menus with unneeded items
> - conflicting shortcuts
>
> Solution? I don't know if there is a good solution. :-(

Heh, while the solution I've used for disabling Kate shortcuts that conflicted
with debugger is probably not "good" and not general by any measure (that's
just disabling them as a code in partcontroller.cpp), it did the job.

I think first step should be to decide which menu items to throw out, create a
separate file unneed_actions_killer.cpp, implement the logic to kill those
actions and see if we need any generalizations. Maybe, all you need is a set
of "partname/actionname" pairs that you want to kill.

- Volodya