The future of KDevelop 4

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Tue Sep 6 17:00:11 UTC 2005

Hey Roberto,

I agree that we need a strong maintainer for the new branch.  I would love to
work on KDevelop4 ... I think most of us are looking for some of the big
merges to happen before we dive in.

Now, here is my concern:  I think it is great that you have Creative Fridays
to hack on KDevelop, but in the past it has been hard to communicate with you
when you go into blackouts.

Communication about the design and the the schedule has been lacking for
awhile.  This was demonstrated quite well in the recent merging fiasco.  I
would just hope that you would devote as much time to planning and letting
everyone know what is going on, as needed.  That is the big burden and
necessary cost of being the maintainer.

Roberto, you are obviously the right person when it comes to knowing the code
inside and out, but I am just concerned that half-way through KDevelop4 you
might just get it in your head to rewrite for KDevelop5 or start off on a new
parser ;)

Note: I am only half kidding.

Adam

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 6:15 am, Roberto Raggi wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As you may have noticed, the only developers working on KDevelop 4 are me
> and Harald. I think we're doing a great job with the new code base, but we
> need help :-) Actually we need more than that. We need to organize our
> resources, try to make a project plan and decide who is responsible for
> what. So what we need is a new maintainer for the 4.0 branch.
>
> We are in the same situation as 3-4 years ago, when we started to implement
> gideon (aka KDevelop 3). At that point we had a stable and beautiful IDE
> (KDevelop 2.x) and something else - an unstable and promising research
> project  gideon. We had two maintainers, one for the stable branch and one
> for the research branch. I think it's time to do that again.
>
> I'd like to propose myself as the new maintainer for the *research* branch.
> If it's OK with *all* of you, I will post a project plan, then we can start
> to discuss the architecture, the new components, etc...
>
> Rationale: Thanks to a Trolltech initiative (the *Creative Friday*) I can
> spend 20% of my working time on KDevelop. Of course I love the new code,
> and I will work and support KDevelop in my free time too.
>
> ciao robe

I'm running a Marathon in December!
HELP ME SAVE LIVES and Donate Today!
http://helpmesavelives.blogspot.com/