The future of KDevelop 4

Roberto Raggi roberto at kdevelop.org
Tue Sep 6 12:16:02 UTC 2005

Hi!

As you may have noticed, the only developers working on KDevelop 4 are me and
Harald. I think we're doing a great job with the new code base, but we need
help :-) Actually we need more than that. We need to organize our resources,
try to make a project plan and decide who is responsible for what. So what we
need is a new maintainer for the 4.0 branch.

We are in the same situation as 3-4 years ago, when we started to implement
gideon (aka KDevelop 3). At that point we had a stable and beautiful IDE
(KDevelop 2.x) and something else - an unstable and promising research
project  gideon. We had two maintainers, one for the stable branch and one
for the research branch. I think it's time to do that again.

I'd like to propose myself as the new maintainer for the *research* branch. If
it's OK with *all* of you, I will post a project plan, then we can start to
discuss the architecture, the new components, etc...

Rationale: Thanks to a Trolltech initiative (the *Creative Friday*) I can
spend 20% of my working time on KDevelop. Of course I love the new code, and
I will work and support KDevelop in my free time too.

ciao robe