Design of register/memory viewers

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Thu Sep 1 08:41:03 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 31 August 2005 20:04, Kuba Ober wrote:
> For memory viewers, it'd be nice to be able to select (morph) a viewer to:
> - display whole memory of a process, with starting address being adjustable
> by typing a new value in the input box + scroll of course would work

That's tricky. How do you get "whole memory of process". The use case I have
here is DSP processor with 3 memory ranges -- one at 0x00000000, another at
0x80000000 and yet another at 0xC0000000. So there's no single continuous
region of memory. And some of those memory ranges is 64M -- might be not so
good to show that much. And for orginary PC, memory range can be even larger.

> - display memory occupied by a named variable only (i.e. set start to &var,
> end to (char*)&var + sizeof(var), this is useful when debugging alignment
> issues etc.

Definitely.

> - display memory in a hand entered start/end range

Sure.

- Volodya