KDevelop / Bachelor thesis

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Mon Oct 3 20:05:26 UTC 2005

On Monday 03 October 2005 10:09 am, Roberto Raggi wrote:
> Hi Jakob!
>
> What do you think about Java? Currently we are using an ANTLR based parser
> for the javasupport, but I would like to rewrite it for KDevelop4. You may
> want to take a look at kdevelop-pg. kdevelop-pg is the new parser generator
> we wrote for KDevelop 4.
> http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/kdevelop-pg/

And that is the problem for other languages Roberto.  Your new parser is sooo
nice that it'll allow us to do things with C++ that will be hard for other
language parts to keep up with short of writing their own parsers.

Now, are you suggesting Jakob should write a full blown Java parser in C++
using your new parser as inspiration?  If so, and he decides to do it, COOL
BEANS!! but... I can't imagine that we'll get very many takers.  It is going
to be hard to get the other language parts to keep up with the C++ language
part IMHO.

Adam

> kdevelop-pg is not 100% feature complete! for instance we need to implement
> the error recovery, but it has a couple of interesting features, like AST
> generation and code refactoring support.
>
> ciao robe
>
> On Thursday 29 September 2005 17:24, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> > Hi Ian, Alexander, mailing list,
> >
> > it's been quite some time since aKademy, so I've been a little late.
> > Nevertheless, the plan is still the same.
> >
> > (For the ones who didn't get to see me there:
> > I talked to Ian at aKademy because I want to do some work on KDevelop
> > with my bachelor thesis, where he proposed either checking code
> > correctness with code matrices or implementing a new parser for languages
> > other than C/C++.)
> >
> > I tend to find the parser thing more interesting, but in order to
> > approach the local professor with that topic proposal, I need it to be a
> > little refined and worked out. (Just so that I know what is to be done
> > exactly.)
> >
> > So if I'm deciding for the parser that you proposed, what does it have to
> > be able to do? Which constraints and specialities? I'd like to get a
> > little bit in detail with that.
> >
> > Wishes to all of you,
> >   Jakob

I'm running a Marathon in December!