User actions/toolbars plugin

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri May 20 15:25:38 UTC 2005

Hi Jens,

 I have some good news. :-)

On Wednesday 18 May 2005 12:22, Jens Herden wrote:
> possible solution: since the user toolbar is a KXMLGuiClient it has a
> method setClientBuilder(). In theory we can add our own builder here
> that gets used when kmainwindow's factory builds the toolbar. In this
> custom builder you overwrite the addClient() method like in Quanta's
> mainwindow.

The idea was excellent: it works.
I'd send a full screenshot, but for some reasons I cannot connect to
kdewebdev.org to upload. So here is a small one.

> If you create a tabwidget object that inherits from KXMLGUIBuilder
> you can easily add the created toolbar directly to the tab.
>
> If this is well done we might add a configuration switch so that the
> user can decide if s/he wants to use the tabwidget or let the
> toolbars appear like normal toolbars in the main window. We only have
> to use our own builder or the builder from the mainwindow.

This works as well. ;-)

Of course what I've done is far from being really usable. The actions
are not ported, only loading is done and it also has some issues, like:
- the icons are loaded from $KDEDIR/share/apps/kdevelop/toolbar
- if the holder toolbar size changes, it is not noticed
- for some reasons the icons appear quite slow on the toolbar (visible
only the first time)
- the user toolbar has the big tabwidget even if no user toolbars are
loaded

Good is that I didn't had to make big changes in this code in order to
make it work.

BTW, how can one disable editing of a toolbar?

Andras