Bug 68015: Variables/Watch Window closes on first view

jbb jbb at kdevelop.org
Wed May 18 11:16:08 UTC 2005

[snip]

> 6. editDocument gets the KPart for the file, then gets widget for the part
> and finally PartController::activatePart does
>
>     widget->setFocus()
>
> and KMDI hides the variables window.

So, if the panel is pinned, why is the window hidden? Doesn't this look like
the bug?

Even if the panel isn't pinned, ideally, the window shouldn't close as we
shouldn't set the focus away from the window we've just clicked in (although
I can see why this is being done).

> The attached patch fixes the problem for the case where you want to look
> at variables in the current thread, but still does not work when looking at
> vars in the other thread.
>
> It's certainly needed to switch frame to get information about variables,
> but then it's needed to prevent emitting slotShowStep. And in fact,
> currently after showning the list of variables for a thread/frame, debugger
> switches to that thread/frame. This behaviour does not seem intuitive,
> maybe it's better to:
> 1. Disable 'slotShowStep'.
> 2. Switch to needed frame
> 3. Get local vars.
> 4. Swithc back to current frame
> 5. Enable 'slotShowStep'
>
> Opinions?

Hmmm, I would expect that when expanding a list of variables in a
thread/frame, we'd switch to that thread/frame.

Wouldn't it be better to look into the widget->setFocus() being the cause of
the problems here.

jbb