current state of using cmake to compile kdevelop

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon May 9 22:04:05 UTC 2005

On Monday 09 May 2005 21:55, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
> > > libtool takes care mostly of PIC/non-PIC issues,
> >
> > Which issues ? Creating shared libs is trivial with cmake under linux,
> > mac os X and windows (didn't try other platforms).
>
> The main problem is that it is not portable to link a non-PIC static
> library into a shared object, which is basically what is done with
> "convenience" static libs (not to be installed static libraries).

Ah, ok.
OTOH what's the purpose of these convenience libs ?

> > > dynamicly-loadable modules, ...
> >
> > Hmm, what's to do there ?
>
> AFAIK, there are some systems where not any shared library can be dlopened
> (or whatever you use), but I may be wrong.

If I understand this email correctly, this is actually no issue for KDE:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=111476511215437&w=2

> The thing I don't like with cmake is that it relies on make for building.

Well, actually I like in cmake that it generates makefiles so everybody can
continue to type "make" :-)
OTOH it should be possible to write a scons-file generator for cmake :-)

Bye
Alex