Assembler view

jbb jbb at kdevelop.org
Mon Jun 6 02:51:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 22:03, Amilcar do Carmo Lucas wrote:
> On Thursday 02 June 2005 11:38, jbb wrote:
> > I believe my previous comments (several years ago now?) on this topic are
> > still relevant, but, Amilcar, has the situation changed in the
> > intervening time?
>
> What comments ?
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kdevelop-devel&m=104423753124519&w=2
Unfortunately most of my comments went directly to Harald.

> Anyway KDevelop is plugin oriented.
> We can have two debugger plugins can't we ?
Sure we can.

kdbg doesn't (or at least didn't) use kate but its own widget for displaying
the source. I believe that in an IDE the widget displaying the source should
be the same whether editing the source or debugging the source. We need to
support this differently in kdevelop that in kdbg, which means the assembler
view cannot to used directly from kdbg into kdevelop. Which brings us back to
adding the code to do this. As I've said the code to get the assembler for a
particular line is trivial, the work is in the kate part if kate doesn't
support this, and if it does then it shouldn't be that hard to add it
directly.

There are other significant differences between kdbg and kdevelop that would
required substantial work to fit kdbg into kdevelop. Most of these
differences arise because we have to live within an IDE whereas kdbg doesn't.
However, the main issue is who will maintain whatever we have. As you can see
in the original thread, Johannes didn't want to maintain kdbg in kdevelop.

I have no objections to the current debugger code being replaced by better
code, but we need to improve on the existing functionality and usability, and
more importantly, we need that code _maintained_. I don't see how that last
goal is achieved by replacing the current debugger with kdbg and I don't see
that you will get significant improvements in functionality or usability.

I'd suggest that someone gives this a try and see how it works out and then
makes a judgement call on which way to go.  Anybody? I can give you (some)
advice on what kdevelop does and why...

jbb