Is a bit of refactoring in order?

Steven T. Hatton hattons at globalsymmetry.com
Sun Jun 5 16:52:08 UTC 2005

On Saturday 04 June 2005 23:32, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Saturday 04 June 2005 04:57 pm, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> > I've been looking at a lot of the central code for KDevelop, such as
> > parts/appwizard, language/cpp, src/, and have come to believe it could
> > benefit from some reorganization.  There seem to be a lot of classes
> > doing too many different things, and there also seem to be certain kinds
> > of functionality dispersed throughout the classes that could be pulled
> > together to form classes specialized to provide that functionality.  One
> > example is in the AppWizardDialog there are about 70 #ncludes, over 1300
> > loc, and the favorites functionality should clearly be in a class of its
> > own.
> >
> > I believe this is part of the reason I find the code hard to understand
> > and follow.
> >
> > Does anybody else share these opinions?
>
> Sure. Good luck finding somebody with time though.
>
> Matt

I just finished building the KDESDK from svn.  I thought I had everything I
needed from the current KDE release.  Technically, I believe KDevelopers
aren't supposed to introduce dependencies requiring other KDE components that
aren't released yet.  It would also be nice if there was dependency checking
at some point in the process.  Whether that's when the svn support is built,
or when it is invoked.

I really don't like installing a lot of current development software in the
KDE I'm running.  I tried installing KDevelop in a different directory than
the KDE, but I encountered too many problems doing that.  When I tried
building the KDESDK, it failed on KUnitTest because it lacked something from
the latest KDELibs.  I tried --without-kunittest, but ./configure ignored the
switch.  So I deleted the entire directory and ran configure again.  It
finally built.
--
Regards,
Steven