Generalized problem with extensionless headers.

Steven T. Hatton hattons at globalsymmetry.com
Fri Jun 3 16:53:04 UTC 2005

On Friday 03 June 2005 08:18, Jens Herden wrote:
> > If Trolltech is intending to introduce header files without filename
> > extensions, it would seem reasonable that a recommendation as to how the
> > information (as opposed to encoding, etc.) content type of such files can
> > be discerned by the various components that need to know the content type
> > of files.  It would also seem reasonable that Trolltech provide the basic
> > means of implementing the recommended solution.
>
> Do they intend this? In my snapshot the header files still have an
> extension. It appears to me that only in the source code is no extension.
>
> Jens

I do not know what their longterm intentions are.  Currently what you say is
quite true.

cat /download/com/trolltech/qt-4-snapshot/include/QtGui/QWidget
#include "qwidget.h"

Nonetheless, There is still the problem of identifying the wrapper files as
C++ source files.  For example, how do I retrieve a list of all the available
headers using find?  After I sent my wishlist, I added a few more items.
That last is header file name completion in #include directives.  Now, if it
were just Qt, and just KDevelop, there would be little problem in so much as
a custom solution for the particular situation could be implemented.  But
KDevelop is not the only tool I use, and Qt is not the only library I use.
Since this list is about KDevelop, and not the other development tools I use
((X)Emacs in particular), I will focus on the KDevelop side of things.

I'm working with another library that uses extensionless headers, and these
most certainly are NOT wrappers around .h files.  Notice that the web server
is not serving these files out as a known type.

http://www.openscenegraph.org/documentation/OpenSceneGraph/include/osg/

My current approach to building the PCS is to copy every header file to a new
location and give it a .h extension.  There are probably polite words used to
describe the approach, but I can't think of any.
--
Regards,
Steven