MS Visual Studio project manager

JeDi jeroen.dierckx at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 18:32:06 UTC 2005

I know I'm going to get a lot of critics about this, but I'm going to
attempt to provide a MS Visual Studio project manager for kdevelop.

We, a software development research centre in Belgium, write a lot of
windows/linux cross-compatible source code. In windows, we use Visual
Studio 2005 (beta2 for the moment), and in linux we use kdevelop. At
the moment, we use the qmake manager for the linux builds (too much
overhead in automake & friends).

We want to eliminate the burdon of managing two seperate project
environments. I haven't investigated the visual studio SDK yet, but I
guess that the .sln and .vcproj files are the only way to go in visual
studio. As kdevelop does provide the possibility to create and use a
whole new project management system, my idea is to use the .vcproj
files (and maybe the .sln files) directly in kdevelop.

My questions, as I'm not very familiar with the kdevelop code yet:
- Do you guys think this would be possible? In a nice way? I want to
parse and edit the parts of the (xml based) .vcproj files that I can,
and don't alter / delete the parts I'm unable to parse (yet).
- What would be the best way to do this? I know a new project
management part is being made for kdevelop, but is it used already?
I've read somewhere that the qmake manager is being rewritten for the
new design, but is it finished? And being used?
- Can you point me in the direction of the documentation and parts of
the API-docs that I should look at?

Greetz,
JeDi