New parser branch (Was: Dumping the source DOM?)

Roberto Raggi roberto at kdevelop.org
Wed Jul 13 11:21:05 UTC 2005

Hi

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 08:00, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Speaking of Boost, when I use the CVS version of it, and try to process a
> file containing just:
>
>   #include <boost/program_options.hpp>
>
> I get:
>
> $ ./r++ -I/home/ghost/Work/boost-rc po.cpp
> po.cpp:3: unexpected token 'token:0 -  '
>
> While "g++" has no problems. What should I do?

your report is just great!!! THANK YOU! I will try to reply you as best I can.

[rraggi at rabagast kdevelop4-parser]$ cat ~/work/x/test.cpp
#include <boost/program_options.hpp>
[rraggi at rabagast kdevelop4-parser]$

[rraggi at rabagast kdevelop4-parser]$ ./r++ ~/work/x/test.cpp
preprocessed. compiled 48346 loc

BTW Actually I don't care if you want to replace r++ with gccxml. I mean, I
*don't have* to convince you or the other developers that r++ is the best
alternative for KDevelop. Actually you can go forward and replace the whole
programming language framework. I did it 3-4 years ago when we switched from
KDevelop 2.x to gideon(3.x), so I don't mind if someone else will replace my
code. The point is I need features like code refactoring and incremental
parsing in my IDE. So I'm going to implement the support for such features.
That's why I wrote the KDevelop parser generator, the c++ parser, and
KDevProjectManager(the programming language framework needs a better project
manager).

About the code completion. The problem is not the parser. We already have all
the informations we need. The real problem is the Catalog/CodeModel(== the
symbol table). We don't store things like templates, operators, casts, and so
on.. I'm sorry Vladimir, but I don't think you'll have code completion and
code browsing for free with gccxml.

As I said before I don't care if you want to change the KDevelop framework.
Thanks God I'm the author/coauthor of all the tecnologies I need. CodeModel,
Catalog, class browser, class navigation(quickopen), C++ parser, Project
manager, KDevelop interfaces, and more... So I think I can continue to work
on my favorite IDE without any problems, but if this is a problem for you or
other developers.. well I'll create my own IDE.

ciao robe