probably the best C++ parser...

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Mon Jul 4 11:24:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 03:24 am, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Friday 01 July 2005 10:17 am, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Friday 01 July 2005 17:01, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > ...you can find is gcc, but did you know gccxml
<snip>

> That's all well and good, except for the fact that XML parsing (at least
> with Qt, and possibly other libraries as well) is way too slow to be useful
> in this case (especially since we're using bdb)
>
> Now, if Ian would hurry up and replace bdb with something else then maybe
> speed wouldn't be such an issue. Also, I've seen other posts that say that
> gccxml doesn't provided everything needed for refactoring support, etc.,
> but I don't know that for sure, so i'm just quoting what the other person
> said.
>
> I like this idea, but I'm wondering if there are other issues lurking here
> that we're not yet aware of

More issues:
* speed
 - after initial parsing, kdevelop4 will parse only modified sections of text,
and I expect this will be in realtime. Thus it will be faster and much more
responsive, the ui doesn't have to be locked for as long when the text is
extracted for the parser, etc.

* syntax highlighting
- will be better with our own parser because the parsed structure can be
assigned highlighting attributes easily, given mouseover effects etc.

* macro support
- gccxml's input is preprocessed already, right?  So it sees a different
version of the text to what we actually code with

I'm sure there's more as well, depending on how detailed gccxml is...

Cheers,
Hamish.