Please comment on the release announcement.

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 23 23:40:10 UTC 2005

On Sunday 23 January 2005 22:15, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Sunday 23 January 2005 11:46 am, Amilcar do Carmo Lucas wrote:
> > Hi all
> >

> > diff files are welcome.
>
> You can't switch MDI modes on the fly, even though the release announcement
> says you can (third paragraph under 'Major enhancements')
>
> The announcement doesn't mention the new Ruby support anywhere!! This is,
> IMHO, the crown jewel of features for this release. It needs to be
> mentioned explicitly.
Thanks! But I looked at the link:

"Much improved ruby language support
New ruby debugger

Extended other ruby stuff"

..which seems fine to me, although 'extended other ruby stuff' might be a bit
technical for some people ;-)

Maybe I would describe it in more detail:

* Much improved ruby language support
    - New ruby debugger, combined with improved inspect methods in the
qtruby/korundum bindings, for showing Qt::Object metadata such as properties,
while debugging
    - Class browser has an improved parser that shows Qt and DCOP signals and
slots, attr_accessor methods and instance variables
    - New project templates for a KDE application framework, DCOP server and
Qt only apps

Apart from the debugger, all the improvements were relatively little work, to
get something pretty useful. If I was to suggest a 'marketing message' about
the new KDevelop release, it is that it is now a great general purpose
framework for developing IDE environment, rather than just a mainly 'C++
only' IDE.

I hope the ruby stuff inspires people to improve java and python for the next
release for instance. It would be quite easy to add a few PyKDE project
templates as a start - maybe python people don't like having to write code in
C++ though.

-- Richard