SVN plugin problems

Mickael Marchand marchand at kde.org
Tue Feb 22 00:06:23 UTC 2005

Andras Mantia a écrit :
| Hi,

|  As KDE is heading towards SVN, I think we need a good GUI to perform
| SVN operations.

he, finally people dares giving some feedback ;)

|  KDevelop's CVS and SVN (maybe also other) plugins have a common
| problem, namely that they don't remember the commit log. So if
| something goes wrong and you need to repeat the commit, you have to
| type again. This is one of the reasons why I don't use the integrated

this can easily be worked around I think.
it's just a matter of adding a variable.

| CVS plugin of KDevelop as it happens here many times that the
| connection goes down (or isn't completely up when I press OK) during
| the commit and if you have typed a fairly long text, well, it's not
| fun. Cervisia doesn't have this problem. ;-)
|  Now my problems with the SVN support after some minutes of working:
| - the error messages are rather cryptic ones. As a new svn user, I don't
| understand much out of it.
I dont plan to translate all svn errors, I just forward them to the user ;)
you would get the same from the 'svn' command line.

| - there is some problem that is mostly visible if you don't have the
| kio_svn installed. The error box will be brought up many times (the
| same number of times as how many SVN operations were performed in the
| current session). Without looking at the code, but having similar
| problems with the cvsservice and other cases, this indicates that a
| signal is connected (every time you start an SVN operation), but not
| disconnected unless you close the project (well, the plugin is
| destroyed then...) You can also see that X number of progress dialogs
| appear on the screen.
I agree this is problematic, I'll try to find a way to check whether the
kioslave runs fine before initialising the subversion plugin (running a
fake operation or something ..)

| - I get the "Working copy is locked' error dialog, but it still
| committed my changes. What is this error about?
hmm dunno :/
(see below)

| - If I'm not online and try an update I also get after that another
| error dialog: "PROPFIND request failed on ....". I have no idea what
| this can mean. Of course I get these dialogs now X times (see the above
| issue).
that's what would tell you 'svn' in the same situation ;)
complain to subversion developers if you think it's too obscure ...
from what I saw in subversion's code, they just forward the most
internal error to the higher levels which makes it quite cryptic sometimes.

| - I cannot reproduce now as SVN doesn't ask for the password anymore,
| but when it did and I entered the wrong password, I got an error dialog
| which said something like "Critical error: ." Yes, the string
| indicating the actual error was missing.
I noticed the password problem today with svn.kde.org, I'll try to fix
it this week-end.
svn+ssh is way much more tested, if you can use it, try it ;) (with
ssh-agent ;)

| As I see there are several missing features, mostly about branching.
yes, though it should be pretty easy to add now.
I mostly worked on core features in kio_svn, now adding a command is
just a matter of adding one function in it (10 minutes work).
then create a caller action in the subversion plugin (5 minutes work).

thanks for this feedback ;)
I was expecting some these days ;o)

Cheers,
Mik