SVN plugin problems

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Feb 18 20:51:08 UTC 2005

Hi,

 As KDE is heading towards SVN, I think we need a good GUI to perform
SVN operations.
 KDevelop's CVS and SVN (maybe also other) plugins have a common
problem, namely that they don't remember the commit log. So if
something goes wrong and you need to repeat the commit, you have to
type again. This is one of the reasons why I don't use the integrated
CVS plugin of KDevelop as it happens here many times that the
connection goes down (or isn't completely up when I press OK) during
the commit and if you have typed a fairly long text, well, it's not
fun. Cervisia doesn't have this problem. ;-)
 Now my problems with the SVN support after some minutes of working:
- the error messages are rather cryptic ones. As a new svn user, I don't
understand much out of it.
- there is some problem that is mostly visible if you don't have the
kio_svn installed. The error box will be brought up many times (the
same number of times as how many SVN operations were performed in the
current session). Without looking at the code, but having similar
problems with the cvsservice and other cases, this indicates that a
signal is connected (every time you start an SVN operation), but not
disconnected unless you close the project (well, the plugin is
destroyed then...) You can also see that X number of progress dialogs
appear on the screen.
- I get the "Working copy is locked' error dialog, but it still
committed my changes. What is this error about?
- If I'm not online and try an update I also get after that another
error dialog: "PROPFIND request failed on ....". I have no idea what
this can mean. Of course I get these dialogs now X times (see the above
issue).
- I cannot reproduce now as SVN doesn't ask for the password anymore,
but when it did and I entered the wrong password, I got an error dialog
which said something like "Critical error: ." Yes, the string
indicating the actual error was missing.

As I see there are several missing features, mostly about branching.

Andras