Bug 99893: KDevelop debug messages and watches more user friendly

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Thu Dec 8 08:49:06 UTC 2005

Hi Tom,

on KDE bug tracker, you've left the following comment:

> Or at least a single variables window with sub-pages of local/auto and your
> own watches. Thank god I can now edit the value in the variable window
> itself though. But what is recent doing there? Variables get there if I do
> an 'evaluate' on them? Why does 'locals' open up EVERY time I step through
> the program, it is highly annoying.

I decided to reply by email, since this comment touches several issues and is
broader then the bug where it's left.

> Or at least a single variables window with sub-pages of local/auto and your
> own watches.

Original request was for "Del" key to work. If that if fixed, will it be OK
with you?

> But what is recent doing there? Variables get there if I do
> an 'evaluate' on them?

Yes. Can you suggest any improvement that will make this more obvious?

> Why does 'locals' open up EVERY time I step through the program, it is
> highly annoying.

It's easy to make 'locals' open state to not change while stepping. Just
implemented in revision 486633 (Kdevelop 3.4 branch).

Now, when you start a debugger and application stops for the first time, the
variable window automatically shows, and local variables is expanded. If you
close local variables and continue stepping, local variables remain closed.
If program has exited and you run it again, the locals will again expand.

Does this behaviour seem reasonable?

- Volodya