Building KDE4; where to get help/instructions?

Steven T. Hatton hattons at globalsymmetry.com
Wed Aug 10 17:52:06 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 20:40, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 August 2005 04:07 am, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> > I really want to stay with the trunk of KDevelop, but that means I need
> > to be able to build KDE4.  I've tried and tried and tried, and I'm not
> > getting anywhere with it.  I can't find instructions on how to build it.
> > All the pages I've looked at still describe KDE3.x builds.  I've tried
> > both by hand, and with kdesvn-build.  I know this list isn't for building
> > KDE4. Perhaps someone can point me in the direction of helpful
> > information on how to accomplish this?
>
> right now, kdevelop 4 is not in trunk, so you have no worries here. there
> is a page on edu.kde.org that should help you get something for KDE 4 up
> and running

I'm confused.  I have not been able to build KDevelop for over a week.  It now
requires unsermake 0.4, which I was able to provide from the kdesdk in trunk.
It also wants Qt4 which I'm currently providing from my snapshot of the
Troll's rsync.  Once I provided that, I got an error saying "I can't find the
designer plugins. These are required and should have been installed by
kdelibs".  When I asked about that, I was told that trunk is now KDE4.

I really don't like messing with the SuSE-provided RPMs such as kdelibs.  (You
can ask others on this list how much I resisted the idea of installing my
KDevelop builds as root.)  Be all that as it may,  I would like to be able to
build one of the KDevelop images.  My preference is to work with one that
best supports Qt4.  It seems clear that I'm missing something required by
trunk.  There was a time when keeping up with the SuSE ftp patches (usually)
provided all that was needed to build KDevelop.  It looks as though that is
no longer the case.

I thought that building the core of trunk along with the KDevelop in trunk
would work.  Unfortunately I have not been able to get arts (or anything
other than qt-copy and kdesupport) to build.  I'll have a look at the site
you referenced to see if that helps.

--
Regards,
Steven