KDevelop Manual

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Tue Apr 26 18:23:04 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 03:31 am, Joe Dev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just sent this to Lauri Watts:
> > We haven't had much to do with the kdevelop doc for the last few years,
> > so I am cc'ing there in case they prefer to continue managing their
> > documentation themselves.
>
> So who manages their documentation now?

Nobody, it's horribly out of date. We'll take any help we can get from
anybody. The most important thing is that the doc get some lovin' :) I don't
think we care whether a KDevelop developer does it or a member of the doc
team does it. A chimpanzee could probably do it and we'd be happy. ;)

> > Either way, you're welcome to use this list for
> > proofreading/style/docbook assistance if you want.  In fact, if you don't
> > want to write docbook, you can send plain text here and we'll do the
> > markup for you.
>
> I sure will need some help at the beginning.
> But in the long run, I'd prefer to do the markup myself,
> according to your or the KDevelop people's guidelines.
> By the way, in
> http://i18n.kde.org/doc/markup/tags-we-dont-use.html
> you list <formalpara> as a tag you don't use.
> However, it is widely used e.g. in:
> kdevelop/doc/kdevelop/index.docbook.
> So what is true now?

follow the guidelines you found at the above URL please. KDevelop's
documentation probably hasn't been updated since that list was created.

> And in http://i18n.kde.org/doc/tools.php,
> how about listing Quanta?
>
> So here is my diff of index.docbook as a first try.
> It's surely not perfect and I'd appreciate corrections.
> Don't hesitate to express criticism;
> it's better to clarify these issues at the beginning,
> before I invest much work.
>
> Regards,
>
> Joe Dev

First off, use 'diff -u', it'll be much easier to read the diff in general.
See http://developer.kde.org/documentation/other/developer-faq.html#q1.5.2
for the recommended .cvsrc file for kde's cvs repository, since you appear to
be working off of anon cvs. Also keep in mind that anonymous cvs takes awhile
to sync. If you plan to stay for the long haul, then getting a CVS account
might not be a bad idea.

After applying the diff, the docs don't build. Looks like something wrong with
the <blockquote> stuff, but i'm not really sure. If it builds for you, then
i'll go troubleshoot more. :)

Nice work otherwise. :)

Thanks for the patch,
Matt